City Clerk & Elections

The City Clerk's Office manages all elections and is the keeper of City records, liaison between the public and City Council, coordinator of FOIA requests, and manager of insurance claims and coverage.


Learn about upcoming elections, how to vote, where the polls are located, and how to serve as an election inspector.


City Clerk Department

Ferndale City Hall
300 E. Nine Mile Rd.
Ferndale, MI 48220

248-546-2525 Ext. 5

City Records Request (FOIA)

The City Clerk Department fulfills Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for all City departments and records pursuant to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act. MCL 15.231 et seq, provides that all persons are entitled to full and complete information as to a public body’s fulfillment of statutory functions and concerning the inner workings of government. The City may charge a fee to cover the cost of a FOIA request based on the scope of the request.

You may also submit a request through mail, email, or in person at the City Clerk's Office. Further information on how to file a FOIA is available.


The Mayor performs marriage ceremonies by appointment at City Hall in the Council Chambers. They are held on the third Thursday of each month, in 15-minute blocks starting at 6:00 p.m.

For June Only: Ceremonies will occur on June 27, the fourth Thursday of the month.

Complete the application and submit the online payment of $51.80 to book your ceremony. A marriage license is required by state law. Either person being married may obtain the license from the County Clerk of the county in which that person resides. If neither person is a Michigan resident, you must obtain the license from the Oakland County Clerk.

Liquor Licensing

The State of Michigan requires that any establishment that sells liquor must acquire licensing through the MLCC that authorizes the establishment to sell liquor. Any establishment in the City of Ferndale that sells liquor to be consumed on-site must receive local government approval.

Municipal Ordinances

Ferndale’s City Charter and Code of Ordinances are online and searchable. While every attempt is made to keep this online version current, it should be used for reference only. Contact the City Clerk for the most recent ordinances.

City Clerk's Office FAQs

For additional questions, contact the City Clerk's Office at 248-546-2525 Ext. 5.

How do I submit a FOIA request?
How do I obtain a birth certificate, death certificate, or marriage/divorce record?
When are City Council meetings held?
  • City Council Meetings are held on the second and fourth Monday of every month. For the current year schedule, visit the Calendar page. 
How do I apply for a City Board or Commission?
Does the City have public notaries?

Yes, the cost for notary services is $10. The City Clerk's Office recommends calling ahead at 248-546-2525 Ext. 5 to confirm attendance.

Where do I apply for a marriage license?

Marriage licenses can be obtained through Oakland County.