Ferndale Dog Park
The Ferndale Dog Park is located inside Wilson Park, located off Hilton Road, just south of Nine Mile Road. Dog park membership is available to both residents and non-residents who have completed the required Dog Park Safety Course offered virtually every second Wednesday of the month. This park features several amenities for Ferndale's four-legged friends and their owners., including safe key card access, fenced play areas for large and small dogs, sitting areas, dog water stations, waste pickup stations, urine-resistant shrubbery, and more.
To qualify for membership, applicants must first complete a one-time dog safety course. This class is currently being offered virtually. Click here to sign up for the course.
After completing the course, applicants must:
- Fill out a membership application
- Provide proof of Ferndale residency (if applicable)
- Provide present Oakland County dog licensing information
- Provide current vaccination records
- Submit an annual application fee: $40 for residents and $65 for non-residents
- Submit a $10 key fob fee for park access
All application materials can be submitted via the electronic application form or by emailing them to Recreation Manager Emanuel Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to submit the materials digitally, you can bring your physical copies of the required materials to the Parks and Recreation Office located at Incubizo, 1938 Burdette Street, Suite 109.
A staff member will contact you to process payment once all required materials have been submitted. If you prefer to use a check or cash, please arrange to meet us at our office in person. Checks must be payable to the City of Ferndale.
To ensure a safe environment for dogs and humans, we ask that all members adhere to the following rules of use:
- To visit the dog park, all dog owners must purchase an annual membership with the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Proof of required medical records and a current dog license must be presented to purchase a membership.
- Dogs must be healthy, fully vaccinated, parasite-free, licensed, and wearing identification tags.
- Dogs with a history of aggressive behavior are prohibited.
- Memberships cannot be issued to puppies less than 4 months old due to vaccination concerns.
- Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries caused by their dogs. While in the enclosure, dogs are allowed to be off the leash, but not out of control or out of the owner's sight.
- All off-leash dogs must be under the voice control of their owners at all times.
- The maximum number of dogs per adult is 2 and both dogs must remain in the same run area as their owner. Owners cannot leave the dog(s) in the run area without supervision.
- Dogs must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or older) at all times. Children ages 5-17 may only visit the dog park with an adult.
- Dogs in heat are not permitted at the park.
- Owners must clean up after their dog(s). Efforts will be made by the City of Ferndale to provide bags and waste receptacles in the park. Be prepared to address your pets' waste by having a bag with you in the event the dispensers are empty.
- No smoking, glass containers, or human food of any kind are allowed anywhere in the park. This is to ensure the park stays clean and prevents dogs from begging for food or showing aggressive behavior.
- Do not allow anyone into the park that does not have a membership. This is for you and your pets' safety. Encourage visitors to pick up a packet of information and register to become a member.
Failure to comply with the above rules may result in a revocation of your membership. Refunds shall not be provided for revoked or suspended privileges.
Notice a problem? Please report it to the Ferndale Parks & Recreation Department at 248-544-6767. If emergency injuries or altercations occur, call 911. If non-emergency animal-related injuries or altercations occur, call Oakland County Animal Control at 248-391-4102.