Absentee voting (AV) means voting from home or voting by mail. You can vote on your schedule, wherever you are most comfortable, and take as much time as you want--no need to go to a specific place at a specific time. This is how most Ferndale voters choose to vote.
Any registered voter in Michigan may use AV voting in any election; no “reason” is required. The best way to apply for your AV ballot is online through the Michigan Voter Information Center, which becomes active 75 days before each election.
All voters are encouraged to use the MVIC to join the Permanent AV List. Once you join the list, the Elections Department will mail an AV application to you approximately 75 days before every election; you always have the option to vote by AV ballot, vote in person, or not vote at all. Please note: You must be a registered voter to apply for the Permanent AV list.
If there is an election within the next 75 days, you can download the application form. Please print it, fill it out, sign it, and return it by mail or at any of our convenient drop boxes. You can also request an application be sent to you and/or request to join the Permanent AV List by emailing or by calling the Elections Department at 248-546-2525 (Option 5).
Applications for an absentee voter (AV) ballot will be accepted beginning 75 days prior to each election.
You can apply online at the Michigan Voter Information Center. Your application will be electronically sent directly to Ferndale Elections.
You can deliver your application in person at Ferndale City Hall during regular operating hours.
You can place your application the following dropboxes, available 24 hours a day:
- the black dropbox outside City Hall (available 365 days a year)
- the gray Ferndale Elections dropbox outside City Hall (available during the 75 days before an election)
- You can mail your application to:
300 E. Nine Mile Road
Ferndale, MI 48220-9905
- To receive an absentee voter (AV) ballot by mail, your application must be received at the Elections Department by 5:00 p.m. on the Friday before the election.
- To pick up an absentee voter (AV) ballot in person and take it home, you must apply at Ferndale City Hall by 2:00 p.m. on the Sunday before the election.
- On the Monday before the election, you may apply for an AV ballot in person until 4:00 p.m., but the ballot must be voted at City Hall; you cannot take it out of the building.